Saturday, January 22, 2011

RoxAnn Bloopers

I seem to always seem to put my foot in my mouth when we are traveling.  For example telling the Jewish guy in Argentina to be sure and have a Merry Christmas.  Yesterday was my day in Egypt for bloopers.  When an obviously Muslim waiter asked me if I liked my Labnah I said it was "Heaven."  Pretty sure thats not the politically correct thing to say.  Also we met some people from France and they asked me if I could speak french.  I said "ummm crepes....or french fries?"  They said very dryly to me "i think they have been renamed freedom fries."  Yes, i'm on a roll. 
We went to a really good egyptian restaurant last evening.  Here are some pics. I didn't use flash to be polite so they are a little grainy


A short word about light fixtures.  Every place we go is always dark but each place no matter how broken down and bad it is has some kind of chandelier.  They don't put out much light but they are pretty.

We had a wild taxi ride back.  I think we had a trainee.  We finally had to help him get us close to our hotel and when we needed change he left us blocking traffic in the middle of the street while he found someone with change.  A policeman came over and saw we had no driver and just shook his head.  In Cairo traffic laws, signs and lights are treated as suggestion only.  The horn beep seems to be some sort of secret driving language.  It all seems to work but crossing the street is a tooth clencher(I won't mention what else might clench too).   

We have two more days in Cairo and then take an overnight flight back to J-Burg, South Africa Sunday night.  I'm going to refer to Johannesburg as J-Berg from now on so I don't have to keep spelling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment